The regular practice of yoga before, during and after pregnancy is very helpful.
Before pregnancy practice of yoga is the ideal preparation.
However during and after pregnancy the practice of hatha yoga (understood as
physical exercise)should be very gentle. When we talk about about yoga it does not only mean physical exercise, it also
include breathing, meditation and scientific sleep.
During and after pregnancy the practice of yoga can include gentle yoga, breathing
(without breath retention), meditation and relaxation exercise.
Practice of yoga includes following benefits during pregnancy:
- It helps in relieving back pain.
- It develops positive attitude which can help to cope with anxiety and fear of
- It improves blood circulation.
- It improves digestion system.
- It controls excessive weight gain.
- It prevents dropping shoulders which often develops during pregnancy.
Precaution during Pregnancy
It is advisable that woman should consult doctor before starting any exercise or
yoga in following symptoms:
(a) A history of premature labour
(b) Expecting twins or triplets
(c) Hypertension- high blood pressure
(d) Thyroid disease
(e) Severely under or overweight
(f) Diabetes/ Epilepsy/Asthama
(g) Anaemia or other blood disorder
(h) Ruptured membranes
(i) Heart problem
(j) Deep clots in legs
(k) Sudden swelling of hands, ankles or face
(l) Abdominal pain